Thursday 1 August 2024

A Journey Through Unexpected Kindness: From Kathmandu to Raxaul Part- I

The sun had barely risen on that fateful morning in June 2023, as I embarked on my solo ride from Kathmandu to the Raxaul border. I was left to navigate the rugged path all alone, my spirit both determined and uneasy.



Before setting off, I had made sure to top up my fuel tank in Kathmandu, ensuring I was well prepared for the journey ahead. The fresh, full tank represented a promise of freedom and adventure as I hit the road, the engine humming with hope. 

But the day seemed to promise smooth sailing until, a disaster struck. Just thirty minutes into my ride, I hit a rough patch: a punctured tire. The realization hit me hard with no Nepalese SIM card, no means of contact, and a language barrier as intimidating as the Himalayas themselves. I was stranded in an unfamiliar land, with shops still shuttered and my only company is the relentless hum of my engine.



Then, A tea shop owner appeared, bringing good luck with him. He was setting up his stall, meticulously preparing for the day’s business. In my bewildered state, I could only snap photos of my bike, unaware of the seriousness of my situation. When he approached, his language was a mystery, but his intent was clear.

Communication broke down into a dance of gestures, where I pointed at my tire and mimed a flat. To my relief, his nod suggested understanding. He went back into his shop, only to reappear moments later with a steaming cup of black tea and a warm smile. With a mixture of broken Hindi and gestures, he reassured me that a puncture repair shop would open around 8:15 to 8:30am, urging me to wait.

The morning, though tense, turned unexpectedly pleasant. As I sipped the tea, I had a conversation with a local seated across from me. Despite the language barriers, our chat was a refreshing diversion. He expressed a desire to visit Tamil Nadu someday, and I extended an invitation, hoping he might someday experience the hospitality of my homeland.

But the story didn’t end there. In a twist of fate that seemed almost too good to be true, the tea shop owner, who had briefly disappeared on his bike, reappeared with a surprising announcement "Puncture shop open hai," he declared, revealing that he had gone to great lengths to find a shop that was now open and ready to help. His unexpected return and selfless act of finding a solution for me felt like a rare moment of generosity. Overwhelmed by his kindness, all I could do was thank him, but I struggled to truly express the depth of my gratitude. As I prepared to part ways, despite my insistence, he refused any payment for the tea, leaving me deeply moved by his extraordinary gesture.

In this remote corner of Nepal, I encountered a selfless deed of kindness so profound it defied the boundaries of culture and language. Stay tuned for the next chapter of this adventure, where the puncture shop becomes the stage for yet another unexpected turn in my solo ride back to India.

6 comments:

  1. Vaasika perusa irku ๐Ÿฅฒ♥️nice bro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lazy comment! Btw Thanks๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜‚

      Delete
  2. I can see a writer in you ๐Ÿ‘€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah! That's so sweet of you Thank you

      Delete
  3. Happy to read a travel writing. Enjoyed this piece flavoured with literary devices uncovering a real life situation of an adventurer. Expect much more from you for the best is yet to come. Keep doing your best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ma'am! Your encouragement means a lot and inspires me to keep doing my best.

      Delete

Suzuki Burgman 125: A Long-Term Review after 25,000 kms

  After two years and 25,000 km of riding, I have gathered an understanding of the Suzuki Burgman 125. This review will break down the pros ...