Thursday 22 August 2024

The Leap to 650cc: Story of My Second Bike

Selling my Yamaha R15 in 2019 was a practical decision, driven more by necessity than emotion. I only had that bike for a year, so it wasn’t exactly a deep bond. But letting it go still left me with a sense of unfinished business. It was just a machine, but it had been my introduction to riding, and moving on meant stepping into unfamiliar territory.



I was initially set on getting a Royal Enfield Classic 350. It seemed like a logical upgrade, and I even went ahead and booked it. But plans change during a visit to the showroom, another bike caught my eye, the Interceptor 650. I did not even known RE made this model. Out of curiosity I sat on it, and something about it just felt right. It wasn’t an immediate decision, but after going home and diving into research, watching videos, and reading reviews, I knew this was the bike I wanted.



When the day came to pick up the Interceptor, I wasn’t expecting anything extravagant, but a part of me hoped for a bit more ceremony, especially since this was one of the top models in their lineup at the time. Instead, the delivery was low-key, almost ordinary. The bike was standing off to the side, and the salesman handed me the keys before moving on. It was an uneventful moment, but oddly peaceful.


Getting on the Interceptor for the first time, I immediately noticed the difference. At 19, I had not fully grasped how significant the jump from a 150cc to a 650cc would be. The first thing that hit me was the weight, it was much heavier than the R15. I managed to get it off the stand and outside the showroom, but the real wake-up call came when I tried to cross the road. Out of habit I twisted the throttle the way I did on the R15, without realizing how much more powerful this machine was. The bike shot forward with a force that took me by surprise, landing me on the opposite side of the road. That’s when it hit me, this wasn’t just an upgrade, it was a whole new level of riding.



The Interceptor wasn’t just another bike, it required a different approach, with more power and more weight that pushed me to adapt quickly. Though I’m not religious, I agreed when my parents wanted to perform the traditional pooja for the new bike. It wasn’t about belief for me, but I didn’t see any harm in letting them follow their rituals. Once that was done, I was ready to hit the road. 


Shifting from the R15 to the Interceptor was a significant change, one that took time to get used to. The new bike demanded respect, and it was a learning experience in every sense. Yet, despite moving on to this powerful new machine, there’s still a part of me that regrets having to sell the R15. It was a necessary choice, but one that came with its own set of challenges.



Every biker knows that the first ride on a new bike is a mix of thrill and uncertainty. It’s not just about mastering a machine, it’s about understanding that every bike has its own personality. The weight, the throttle, the way it handles the road, all of it is new, demanding your attention. And while you might eventually get comfortable, no matter how many bikes you own, there’s always that one machine that stays with you a little longer, even after it's gone. 


So, for those who have  moved on to a new ride, what is your story? Do you still think about the bike you let go or have you fully embraced the one you have now?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meiyazhagan Review

Meiyazhagan is a refreshing and visually captivating feel-good film directed by C. Premkumar, best known for his previous work in "96&q...