Friday 27 September 2024

The Cartoon Corner of My Childhood

 

There is something special about the way cartoons shape our childhood. They are not just shows, they were entire worlds of imagination, where logic does not matter, and fun is the only thing that counts. Growing up in the 2000s, I was lucky enough to experience the joy of cartoons in a way that feels almost impossible to replicate today. 


In those days, we did not have a TV at home because my mom prioritized my studies, so the only chance to indulge in cartoons was at my grandparent's house, where a local operator provided regional channels. The highlight was "Chutti TV", a Tamil-language cartoon channel that aired shows like Jackie Chan Adventures, Jee boom bai and He-Man. Every weekend or after school, I would visit, eagerly watching with a plate of Horlicks, relishing the warmth of those afternoons and the comfort of routine. My other grandma's house, visited during festivals, was a treasure trove of channels like "Cartoon Network", "Pogo" and "Nickelodeon." Those rare visits felt like stepping into a new universe, where I could escape into shows like Phineas and Ferb, Ben 10 and Tom and Jerry, making each trip an unforgettable adventure beyond the everyday.


Eventually, a TV made its way into our home, and everything changed. No longer did I have to wait for weekends or festivals to get my cartoon fix. Shows like Beyblade, Pokemon, Power Rangers, Shinchan and Dragon ball z became part of my everyday life. I would rush home from school, knowing exactly when each show aired, planning my evenings around them. Even in the mornings, there was always a small gap between eating breakfast and leaving for school, just enough time to sneak in a few minutes of a cartoon. My mom’s scoldings for wasting time became a familiar background noise, but nothing could take me away from those precious TV moments.


Amidst this excitement, the slow, peaceful evenings and rainy mornings hold a special place in my memory. When the rain poured down, and we could not go out to play with friends, seated up in front of the TV felt like a little slice of heaven. Watching cartoons during those cozy afternoons, with a cup of tea and snacks lovingly prepared by my mom, was the best part of those gloomy days. I would lose myself on screen, blissfully unaware of what was happening around me. It was a slow way of living, where time seemed to stretch, allowing each moment to linger a little longer, filled with the laughter and adventure of my favorite characters.


Looking back, it is hard to explain just how much cartoons meant to us. Sure, they defied logic, characters flying through the air, animals talking, and gravity playing by its own rules, but that did not matter. What mattered was the joy they brought us, the excitement we felt watching those impossible worlds come to life. Cartoons gave us the freedom to believe in the impossible, and that was everything we needed as kids.


Today, those cartoon-filled days seem like a distant dream, but they remain a precious part of my childhood. They were more than just entertainment, they were a part of my early years, a time when life felt simpler, and happiness was found in the most unexpected places. Though cartoons may no longer play a role in my life, they left a lasting impact, shaping my imagination and filling my childhood with unforgettable memories.


Do you have a cartoon that still brings back those childhood memories every time you think about it?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite cartoons were Heide, Gloria's house, Jackie chan and the list goes on. I occasionaly rewatch episodes of Heide even now, taking a stroll down memory lane, it makes my innerchild happy. Glad you wrote this, All the love, keep going!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Glad to know you had this love for cartoons, Yeah it does bring back memories of our childhood, Such an amazing thing! Thank you so much!

      Delete

Meiyazhagan Review

Meiyazhagan is a refreshing and visually captivating feel-good film directed by C. Premkumar, best known for his previous work in "96&q...