Thursday 26 September 2024

Saddle Stories: From Chennai to Kanyakumari



It was not my first ride but this one felt different, perhaps because I was riding alone or maybe because it was a journey back to my hometown. I set out on August 30, 2023 on the Srinagar-Kanyakumari highway, a long stretch that took me through places like Tindivanam, Trichy, Madurai, Kovilpatti and Tirunelveli. The ride began at 9:30am in the morning and ended by 8:30pm at night, clocking in over 720+ kilometers. I usually take the bus for this route but something about this day made me choose the saddle. Why not?, I thought.




I had initially planned to start around 4am, but rain in Chennai had delayed me. By the time I finally set off at 9.30am, the day had already started to heat up. As always, I started with "Pallimuttai", a small, sweet treat that never fails to remind me of childhood. Made of sugar and cumin, it has a certain freshness that stays with me throughout the ride. It has become a tradition now, something that grounds me before a long stretch.


The Classic 350, which I took out this time instead of my usual Interceptor, performed like a dream on this ride. I cruised at a stable 80 km/h, clocking in over 35 km per liter, far better than the 24-26 km I get on the Interceptor. The seats were incredibly comfortable, more bucket-like than the hard seating I am used to on the Interceptor. It made a huge difference on a long journey like this. One fuel stop in the middle and the Classic just kept going.




But despite the comfort, this ride was anything but easy. A scorching sun and empty highways made it a punishing experience. The straight roads were unrelenting, the wind blast unforgiving. Highway rides can drain you, especially when they are so featureless. Just road after road. No curves, no surprises, nothing to break the monotony. I should have known better than to expect anything else.


Still, I had my music. My intercom blasted classic tunes and for a while I found some escape in the melodies. The songs lifted my spirit, even if only briefly, making the emptiness of the highway seem a little less dull. Singing along was my way of coping, a small rebellion against the relentless sun, the dry wind and the stretch that refused to end.




There was one moment when nature decided to play along. As I was crossing Kovilpatti, the sun was setting. I saw it in the distance, the colors blending into the road ahead. For a second, the sun looked like it was resting right in my headlight, its light merging with the glow of the bike. That was one of the few beautiful moments I captured along the way. It’s these brief encounters with nature that make the ride worth it, even if the rest of the journey was bland.



By the time I arrived, the tiredness was gone, replaced by excitement. The road had taken its toll but reaching the end was worth it. This ride was not about the scenery or the destination, it was about endurance. A quick ride back home, 720+ kilometers covered, just me and the road. Not the most scenic ride but a story nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meiyazhagan Review

Meiyazhagan is a refreshing and visually captivating feel-good film directed by C. Premkumar, best known for his previous work in "96&q...