The Tom and Jerry CD That Became My Childhood


My childhood came in a small plastic case. There was no cable television at home back then. We had a CD player and a small collection of CDs that my Achan would sometimes bring home. Until the next CD appeared, whatever was already on the shelf was what I had. So when my Achan came home one day with a Tom and Jerry CD, he probably thought he had brought me something to watch. He had no idea that he had just brought home a piece of my childhood.


That CD had the entire collection of Tom and Jerry. At least that was what I believed.


It had the usual episodes that I watched so many times that I could almost remember what came next. But towards the end there were longer Tom and Jerry films. That was where things became interesting.


The CD had a problem reading them. I know that now. Back then I had no idea that a CD could simply fail to read properly. To me, something much more exciting was happening.


Sometimes one of the longer films would play.

Sometimes it would not.


One day, by some strange luck one of them started playing. I remember the excitement of seeing something I had not seen before. Then another one began. It was about racing. I waited for it to continue.


It stopped.


I tried again.


Nothing.


I tried the next day. Then another day. Every time I put the CD into the player I wondered if this would finally be the day it worked. I never thought the disc was broken. I thought there was something I had not unlocked yet.


I had somehow turned a faulty CD into a game.

The regular episodes were the levels I already knew. The longer films were the locked levels. Whenever one suddenly played, it felt like I had discovered something new. I even imagined that there might be more hidden somewhere further inside the disc. Maybe another film would appear one day. Maybe there was an entire collection waiting for me if I just kept trying.


So I kept trying.


There was something beautiful about not knowing how technology worked. Today, if something refuses to play, I would check, search for the problem and probably understand what went wrong and sort it out. Back then, not knowing gave the problem a little mystery.


The CD never revealed everything.


That racing film remained unfinished in my memory for so long. There may have been nothing beyond what I had already seen, but I spent years believing there was. I had created an adventure out of a simple error without ever knowing that an error was what it was.


The strange thing is that I do not remember being disappointed.


I remember being excited.


That little disc had become more valuable than it actually is. It was not just a collection of cartoons anymore. It was something I returned to whenever I wanted a little happiness. Every episode was familiar, yet the possibility of something new kept it alive.


Years later I understand what happened. The CD had a problem. The files towards the end probably could not be read properly. There was no hidden level. No secret collection waiting to be unlocked. No mystery behind the racing film.


But knowing that now does not make the memory any less special.


If anything, it makes me smile.


Because a child had no reason to know what a corrupted disc was. He only knew that sometimes Tom and Jerry gave him something new and sometimes they did not. He did not need an explanation. He had a CD, a player and enough imagination to turn a technical problem into an adventure.


That is probably what I miss most about childhood.


Not Tom and Jerry itself.


Not even that old CD.


It is the feeling of believing that something wonderful might still be waiting if you pressed play one more time.

Do you have a childhood memory that makes no sense now but meant everything back then?that makes no sense now but meant everything back then?

Comments